Wallapak Tavanapong received the B.S. degree in Computer Science from Thammasat University, Thailand in 1992 and the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Computer Science from the University of Central Florida in 1995 and 1999, respectively. She joined Iowa State University in 1999 and is currently a Professor of Computer Science. She is a co-founder and a Chief Technology Officer of EndoMetric, a software company that offers computer-aided technology for colonoscopy. She received a National Science Foundation Career grant, the 2006 American College of Gastroenterology Governors Award for Excellence in Clinical Research for “The Best Scientific Paper”, and a US patent on Colonoscopy Video Processing for Quality Metrics Determination. Her current research interests include multimedia in healthcare, high performance multimedia computing, multimedia and databases, multimedia and communications, electronic medical records, and databases. Her research has been supported by National Science Foundation, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Mayo Clinic Rochester, Iowa Department of Economic Development, and EndoMetric. She has served as an editorial board member for ACM SIGMOD Digital Symposium Collection, an NSF panel reviewer, a program committee member for international conferences, and a referee for conferences and reputable journals.
- Real-Time Feedback to Improve Colonoscopy. National Institutes of Health. Piet C. de Groen (PI, University of Minnesota Twin Cities), Felicity Boyd Enders (Co-investigator, Mayo Clinic, Rochester), W. Tavanapong (Co-investigator, Iowa State University), Johnny Wong (Co-investigator, Iowa State University), JungHwan Oh (Co-investigator, University of North Texas), John Inadomi (Co-investigator, University of Washington), and Mark Lazarev (Co-investigator, Johns Hopkins University) 12/01/2016-6/30/2020. Total budget: $2,827,593 with ISU budget of $460,896. Grant No. 1R01DK106130-01A1.
- Automated collection and coding of online campaign ads. National Science Foundation, SBE. David Peterson (PI, Political Science), W. Tavanapong (Co-PI), and Adisak Sukul (Co-PI), Olga Chyzh (Co-PI) 09/15/2017-08/31/2020. $529,776. Award ID: 1729775. https://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1729775
- Top Teaching Award, Advertising Division. The Association of Education in Journalism and Mass Communication 2017 Conference.
- United States Patent No. 7,894,648 “Colonoscopy Video Processing for Quality Metrics Determination,” February 22, 2011.
- One of the three finalists for the 2009 Iowa Women of Innovation in Research Innovation and Leadership award.
- LAS Early Achievement in Research Award 2008, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (LAS), Iowa State University.
- Objective Quality Control for Colonoscopy: Automated Extraction of Endoscopic Metrics from Video Files. 2006 American College of Gastroenterology Governors Award for Excellence in Clinical Research for “The Best Scientific Paper,” with P. C. de Groen (first author), J. Oh, and J. Wong, October 2006.
Publications (last four years)
- Md Farhad Mokter, J. Oh, W. Tavanapong, J. Wong, P. C. de Groen. Classification of Ulcerative Colitis Severity in Colonoscopy Videos Using Vascular Pattern Detection. MICCAI Workshop on Machine Learning in Medical Imaging (MLMI 2020) in conjunction with the 23rd International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention (MICCAI 2020), pp. 552-562. October 4-8, 2020, Lima, Peru (virtual).
- L. Qi, M. Khaleel, W. Tavanapong, A. Sukul, and D. Peterson. A Framework for Deep Quantification Learning. In Proc. of the European Conference on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases, Ghent, Belgium, September 2020.
- W. Tavanapong, J. Oh, G. Kijkul, J. Pratt, J. Wong, and P. C. de Groen. Real-time Feedback for Colonoscopy in a Multi-center Clinical Trial. In Proc. of IEEE Int’l Symp. on Computer Based Medical Systems, Rochester, MN, July 28-30, 2020.
- S. V. L. L. Tejaswini, B. Mittal, J. Oh, W. Tavanapong, J. Wong and P. C. de Groen. Enhanced Approach for Classification of Ulcerative Colitis Severity in Colonoscopy Videos using CNN. In Proc. of Int’l Symp. on Visual Computing (ISVC), October 2019.
- HH Chang, TK Shih, CK Chang, W. Tavanapong. “CMIR: Content and mask-aware image retargeting,” Multimedia Tools and Applications 78, 21731–21758 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11042-019-7462-2.
- C. Zhang, G. Kijkul, W. Tavanapong, J. Wong, P. C. de Groen, and J. Oh. Active Similarity Learning for Image Classification under Class Imbalance. In Proc. of IEEE Int’l Conf. on Data Mining Series (ICDM), pp. 1422-1427, Singapore, 2018.
- A. Alammari, A. B. M Rezbaul Islam, J. Oh, W. Tavanapong, J. Wong, and P. C. de Groen. Non-informative Frame Classification in Colonoscopy Videos using CNNs. In Proc. of Int’l Conf. on ICBSP 2018, pp. 35-42, 2018, Bari, Italy, October 2018.
- A. Sukul, B. Gopalakrishnan, W. Tavanapong, and D. A.M. Peterson. Online Video Ad Measurement for Political Science Research. Special Session on Intelligent Data Mining, IEEE Bigdata 2017, Boston, MA, USA, 2017.
- A. Alammari, A. B. M Rezbaul Islam, J. Oh, W. Tavanapong, J. Wong, and P. C. de Groen. Classification of Ulcerative Colitis Severity in Colonoscopy Videos using CNN. In Proc. of Int’l Conf. on Information Management and Engineering (ICIME 2017), pp. 232-237, Barcelona, Spain, Oct. 9-11, 2017.
- C. Zhang, W. Tavanapong, J. Wong, J. Oh, and P. C. de Groen. Real Data Augmentation for Medical Image Classification. In Proc. of MICCAI Large-scale Annotation of Biomedical Data and Expert Label Synthesis Workshop, LNCS 10552, pp. 67-76, Quebec, Canada, Sept. 2017.
- J. Newell, W. Tavanapong, and S. Berghefer. Teaching Ad Tech: Assessing Collaborative Teaching in an Advertising, Computer Science, and Design Course. Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication. In Proc. of Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, Chicago, USA, August 2017. (Selected as the “Top Teaching Paper” for AEJMC Advertising Division)
- R. Iyer, J. Wong, W. Tavanapong, and D. Peterson. Identifying Policy Agenda Sub-Topics in Political Tweets based on Community Detection. Proc. of SNAA 2017 workshop col-located with ACM/IEEE Conf. on Advances in Social Networks Analysts and Mining (ASONAM 2017), Sydney, Australia, August 2017.
- L. Qi, R. Li, J. Wong, W. Tavanapong, and D. Peterson. Social Media in State Politics: Mining Policy Agenda Topics (Short paper). In Proc. of ACM/IEEE Conf. on Advances in Social Networks Analysts and Mining (ASONAM 2017), pp. 274-277, Sydney, Australia, August 2017.
- C. Zhang, J. Wong, W. Tavanapong, J. Oh, and P. C. de Groen, Real-time Instrument Scene Detection in Screening GI Endoscopic Procedures. In Proc. of IEEE Int’l Symp. on Computer Based Medical Systems 2017, pp. 720-725, Thessaloniki, Greece, June 2017.