Tenure-Track Faculty Positions
The Department of Computer at Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa, seeks outstanding applicants for up to four tenure-track faculty positions at the rank of Assistant Professor in all areas of computer science. We are specifically looking for candidates in Theoretical Computer Science, Bioinformatics/Computational Biology, Cybersecurity, Classical, and Post-quantum Cryptography.
For the full consideration date, please see "Application Instructions".
The successful candidate will be expected to develop and sustain a strong Computer Science research program; develop collaborative and interdisciplinary research; publish in top venues; provide outstanding graduate student supervision; teach undergraduate and graduate Computer Science courses; and enhance ISU through professional and institutional service. We are interested in exceptional candidates who can expand our research profile in new areas.
We are dedicated to work-life balance through an array of flexible policies. We are responsive to the needs of dual-career couples.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Ph.D. or equivalent degree by start date in computer science or a closely related field.
- Evidence of a strong publication record in top-tier conferences or journals.
- Scholarship that complements and expands the Computer Science department current research strengths.
- Demonstrated ability or potential to develop a high-impact, externally funded research program.
- Demonstrated ability or potential to excel in teaching at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Demonstrated ability or potential to mentor research of undergraduate and graduate students.
- Demonstrated ability or potential to engage in professional and institutional service and leadership.
Department/Program & College Description:
The Department of Computer Science resides in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences offering B.S., B.A., M.S., and Ph.D. degrees in Computer Science and a brand-new M.S. degree in Artificial Intelligence. The department is proud to be one of the founding departments for the B.S. in Software Engineering, B.S. in Data Science, Data Science Minor and Certificate, along with the B.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology. We are active in interdepartmental graduate programs in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, Human-Computer Interactions, and Information Assurance.
The department participates in many interdisciplinary research collaborations, including partnerships with faculty in bio-sciences, mathematical sciences, and engineering. The Department of Computer Science has 41 faculty professionals, 150 Ph.D. students, 59 M.S. students, and approximately 900 B.S. students. All admitted Ph.D. students are offered a two-year teaching assistantship from the department, and almost all are supported by research or teaching assistantships after that. We have strong research and educational programs in Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and Data Science, Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, Human-Computer Interaction, Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Software Engineering and Programming Languages, Systems and Networking, and Theoretical Foundations. Our department has over $16 million in active research grants, including the interdisciplinary activities mentioned, and we contribute to active research and training grants totaling approximately $25 million.
To apply for this position, please select the appropriate opening below and complete the Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter or attach the following documents (as individual PDF files):
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Application/Cover Letter
- Contact Information for Three Professional References
- Statement of Research Interests and Statement of Teaching Interests or Philosophy (one document)
Please attach all documents in the required documents section.
All candidates in Theoretical Computer Science, Bioinformatics/Computational Biology should apply to this position: https://isu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/IowaStateJobs/job/Ames-IA/Assistant-Professor-of-Computer-Science_R11857. This position has a start date of January 1, 2024 (negotiable).
To ensure full consideration, please apply by November 26th, but applications will be taken until the position is filled.
All candidates in Cybersecurity, Classical, and Post-quantum Cryptography should apply to this position: https://isu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/IowaStateJobs/job/Ames-IA/Assistant-Professor-of-Computer-Science_R11855. This position has a start date of August 16, 2024.
To ensure full consideration, please apply by October 15th, but applications will be taken until the position is filled.
Why Choose ISU?
Iowa State University is committed to fostering a workplace of belonging, where diversity is celebrated and equity is a core value. Our Iowa State Employees enjoy comprehensive health and work-life benefits, including medical and dental; as well as:
- Retirement benefits, including defined benefit and defined contribution plans;
- Generous leave plans;
- Onsite childcare (Ames, Iowa);
- Life insurance and long-term disability;
- Flexible Spending Accounts;
- Various voluntary benefits and discounts;
- Employee Assistance Program;
- Wellbeing program.
For more information about the faculty benefits at Iowa State University, please see ISU Benefits page.